Thursday, August 28, 2008

Fall 2008

Stress is irrelevant. Jk.

When originally prompted to think of a topic in which I deem relevant and important enough to turn into a semester long class project I had a million and one ideas.

iTech for instance. Cheeky. Fun. Useful. However it's usefulness is one of pure functionality. Granted Tech does not necessarily have the best website, but is it really an overhaul we (ENGL 4360) are prepared to take on? Maybe. But what about doing something a little more morally upright? iTech looks pretty mundane compared to TTUFightsPlagarism.

Justin mentioned the idea of educating adolescence on the purpose and importance of education.

Someone else mentioned doing a piece on cultural diversity at Tech (or was it Lubbock).

During our brainstorming exercise I said. "I wish everyone--of legal age--would vote." Furthermore, I wish everyone who could vote would be excited about voting. It would be fun to do a 'Rock the Vote' type of campaign or documentary following adolescents and voting throughout this upcoming election year.

All of which are solid ideas. My skepticism, however, lies with Plato and his Cave Allegory. You can lead a cow to the pasture.....

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of "Rock The Vote" because I truly believe that the well being of this country IS in the hands of those in power. They are constantly making decisions that affect every single one of us. Even though I am affiliated with the Democratic party I believe that this effort in "Rocking The Vote" should be a neutral one that educates everyone (students and faculty) about the issues at hand and how each candidate plans on dealing with the issues. There is too much at stake this election year and I think it will be a record turnout across America. There is no better time to educate everyone about the candidates and what they stand for.

C'est La Viii said...

I agree with the whole voting thing, I think it'd be great if everyone were excited about the upcoming election and voting. We could try to get students to voice their opinion more.

Justin Bagwell said...

a. Plato did not say anything about cattle
b. would not a simple note to the NSO committee take care of this problem
c. nerd alert

Mr. Will said...

I do like the suggestion all people of age should vote, however, if some feel why their vote would be wasteful, or rather, why they believe it would be, maybe they could have an opportunity to have a word on it as well? I don't know, but with the upcoming election and the state of affairs as it is in our nation and abroad, it would be good and valuable to at least have people express their views just to strike up conversations, arguments, etc.

TijerinaVideo said...

There can be a lot of cool stuff with a rock the vote campaign. We see campaigning done in the front of the Student Union every year, and I am sure it is going to be crazy with this being a presidential election year. How would our class make a difference in this?

W. L. S. said...

"Rock the Vote," would be a nice thing to put together, but I believe the resources might be limited. I fear that we would have to go into our own pocket to put some of the events together.

Then again, I could be approaching this idea at a different angle. I started thinking about putting together a series of events, such as finding some local band, and having them perform. Then in an intermission, have someone discuss why voting is necessary. After all, this will be an interesting election year

We could also put a group together to meet up at the DPS and sign up to vote with others. Maybe people don't want to go alone?

Then we could follow up and vote with the groups we put together.

Amanda said...

I guess I was thinking more along to lines of increasing student interaction. Freshman are a prime target since being 18-19 this is the first election year they would be able to vote. Why not start it off right in hopes of insuring their participation in future elections?

CW said...

I love the idea of a "Rock the Vote" campaign! I would like to hear more!

Rich said...

Your idea of something like iTech is a very good one. Good list of plausible ideas. Which group do you want to join? I don't see that you have shared that. Please email me ASAP. See the syllabus for the four groups listed in Phase I.